Easy and healthy homemade instant oatmeal packets make a great breakfast to start the day!
This post is sponsored by my friends at Farmer Direct Coop. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Lively Table possible.
One of my favorite ways to start every day is with a delicious, nourishing breakfast. I always make sure to wake up early enough to prepare something to eat before heading out the door, as I’ve been doing for years. Eating a healthy breakfast is absolutely necessary for me to stay energized and focused all morning
I understand that life gets busy, though. Sometimes we all need a little help getting out the door on time in the mornings. That’s why I’ve created these simple DIY instant oatmeal packets for you.
Store-bought instant oatmeal packets are super popular for their convenience, but they are often loaded with sugar, salt and preservatives. They seem so virtuous when in reality, they aren’t that healthy of an option. My homemade instant oatmeal packets are made with Farmer Direct Coop’s Organic Quick Rolled Oats, ground flaxseed, dried fruit and nuts so that you have a filling, fiber-packed breakfast that’s still convenient, but without all the junk.
These oatmeal packets are so easy to assemble, and when you’re ready to eat, you can just pour in some hot water and enjoy. Or you can even take one with you to work and add some hot water there for an even more convenient and nourishing grab-and-go breakfast!
Customize these packs with any flavors or add-ins you like. I put together a few flavor ideas here for you, including dried blueberry and almond (with almond extract and a dollop of yogurt added at the end), apple chips and cinnamon, and banana chips with walnuts. The combinations are really endless, but these are a few of my favorites.
Easy and healthy homemade instant oatmeal packets make a great breakfast to start the day! Packed with fiber and omega-3's, these DIY instant oatmeal packets are so much healthier than store-bought and will keep you full all morning!
- 1/2 cup Farmer Direct Co-op Quick Rolled Oats
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp dried fruit (blueberries, bananas, apples, raisins, etc)
- 1 tbsp nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- slightly less than 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract (optional)
- Honey to taste (optional)
- In a jar, plastic baggie, or other container, combine oats, flaxseed, fruit, nuts, and any spices.
- Once you are ready to eat, add slightly less than 1 cup of hot (not boiling) water to oat mixture in a bowl or in the container. (If you're using a glass container, place a wooden spoon in the jar while pouring to dissipate the heat - this will prevent the glass from shattering.)
- Cover with the lid and let rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Uncover, stir in any additional ingredients if you'd like (vanilla extract, honey, yogurt or milk) and enjoy!
To help you kick-start your healthy eating this new year, Farmer Direct is giving away a bunch of their organic, fairDeal, farmer-owned products for one lucky reader, including:
- Organic Rolled Oats
- Organic Quick Rolled Oats
- Organic Split Green Peas
- Organic French Green Lentils
- Organic Pinto Beans
- Farmer Direct Coop wooden spoon