This Healthy Migas Breakfast Bowl is a festive way to start your day! With scrambled eggs, beans, peppers, onions and all the fun toppings, you’ll be satisfied for hours. (gluten-free, vegetarian)
I’ll never forget the first time my husband and I went to brunch with his cousin and his cousin’s new girlfriend (now wife). We were at an upscale Mexican restaurant in Dallas, and as we were trying to decide what to order, the new girlfriend declared, “I don’t really like migas, but I always order migas.” Then she ordered migas. My husband and I still laugh about it every time we go to a restaurant where migas are on the menu.
Luckily, I love migas! I know they aren’t the best for you the way most restaurants prepare them, so I like to make my own healthy migas at home. Traditionally, migas are made with fried tortilla strips that get stirred I with jalapeños, onions and scrambled eggs. Then topped with a boat load of cheese. Personally, I think frying tortillas strips to get them crispy just to have them get soggy again with eggs completely defeats the purpose, so I take a little bit different approach to make these migas healthier.
I start by baking my corn tortillas so that they are still crispy, but without all the oil of the fried kind. And I wait until the end to sprinkle them on top so they don’t get soggy. Soggy tortillas are for enchiladas only.
I use plenty of onions and peppers for lots of delicious tex-mex flavor, add some fluffly scrambled eggs, and serve it all with black beans, just a little bit of cheese, and plenty of tomatoes, avocado and cilantro. The more beautiful, flavorful veggies on top, the better!
With this healthy migas breakfast bowl, you still get all the delicious flavor of migas, but in a healthier, protein and fiber packed breakfast that will keep you full four hours. It’s a great way to kick off Cinco de Mayo! Tell me, do you like migas?
This Healthy Migas Breakfast Bowl is a festive way to start your day! With scrambled eggs, beans, peppers, onions and all the fun toppings, you'll be satisfied for hours. (gluten-free, vegetarian)
- 1 corn tortilla
- Oil spray
- 3 eggs + 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh jalapeno, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup beans (black, pinto, or refried)
- 1/4 cup tomato, diced
- 1/2 small avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp crumbled cotija or shredded cheddar cheese
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Cut tortilla into 1/4 in-wide strips. Spray with oil and place on foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 5-7 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Heat beans.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and white until combined and fluffy. Set aside.
- Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Spray with oil and add onion, garlic and jalapeno. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Turn heat to low, spray again, and add eggs. Cook over low heat, pushing eggs from outside of pan to the center with a rubber spatula, until almost done. Add cooked veggies, tortilla strips, and 2 tbsp cilantro to the eggs and continue cooking until eggs are set.
- To assemble, divide eggs between two bowls. Add beans, tomato, avocado, cheese, and remaining cilantro. Top with your favorite salsa or hot sauce. Enjoy!