Healthy Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad is a lightened-up, mayo-free version of chicken salad. It’s perfect to prep on Sundays for a week of lunches. (gluten-free)
My mom always made the best chicken salad when I was growing up. She cooked the chicken herself and mixed it with all the things I love in chicken salad – grapes, pecans, celery and onion. And she never used too much mayo. I never really liked mayonnaise, but I could tolerate it in mom’s chicken salad. (And potato salad. And tuna salad.) Only because she used just enough to make it stick together without getting gloopy.
I blame my mom for m aversion to all store-bought salads because hers were always so much better. The store-bought kinds always use way too much mayonnaise-y dressing and taste kind of gross.
Ever since Greek yogurt became mainstream, I’ve been using it in place of mayonnaise in all of my salads. And really everything else, too. It’s just so versatile and so much healthier than mayo or sour cream. I always keep a big tub of siggi’s plain yogurt in my refrigerator to use in my everyday cooking, like in this Greek yogurt chicken salad. It makes a creamy, slightly tangy chicken salad without using globs of mayo, and it packs your lunch with even more protein! I love the combination of sweet grapes, crunchy pecans, and crisp celery, but stir in or leave out whatever you’d like to suit your taste.
This delicious, healthy chicken salad is perfect for casual brunches, summer picnics, work lunches, and super quick dinners. It’s easy to prepare on the weekend to have ready to go in the refrigerator for easy eating all week long!
Healthy Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad is a lightened-up, mayo-free version of chicken salad. It's perfect to prep on Sundays for a week of lunches. (gluten-free)
- 1 large chicken breast ( or 2 cups shredded cooked chicken)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2/3 cup diced celery (1-2 ribs)
- 2/3 cup grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup pecan or walnut pieces (optional)
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt (I like siggi's)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Pinch salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Heat oven to 350° F. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in a baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 20-30 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the center of the chicken breast reads 165° F and juices run clear. Remove from oven and cool before shredding with 2 forks. (Skip this step if using precooked chicken.)
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, stirring until chicken is evenly coated. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.