Chicken with Romesco Sauce is a healthy and flavorful dinner that you’ll want to add to your weekly menu! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
Y’all, I’m seriously obsessed with this dinner, and I think you will be too.
Romesco sauce is my new favorite thing. It’s so flavorful and made with healthy, real food ingredients. It’s the perfect way to elevate grilled chicken from ‘meh’ to ‘OMG’. It’s seriously so delicious.
There is something so good about roasted red peppers and smoked paprika that can instantly make anything taste amazing. So naturally this sauce with roasted red peppers and smoked paprika along with roasted tomatoes, garlic and toasty almonds, tastes like Jesus himself made it. I’d eat it with a spoon. Not even kidding. Good thing this recipe makes a lot of sauce. You can put the leftovers on fish, steak, eggs, and veggies to instantly make them taste so much better.
A note on the smoked paprika. Don’t skip it. Smoked paprika is my new favorite spice because it lends such a delicious flavor to everything (including Romesco sauce) that you just can’t get with regular paprika.
I seriously don’t know how I hadn’t tried Romesco sauce before this, but I’m so glad I did, because I am now completely smitten with this stuff, and I think you will fall for it as soon as you try it too!
Chicken with Romesco Sauce is a healthy and flavorful dinner that you'll want to add to your weekly menu! (gluten-free, dairy-free)
- 1/3 cup raw almonds
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 red bell peppers*
- 2 roma tomatoes**
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Oil spray
- Heat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with foil. I use separate foil boats for each ingredient I'm roasting.
- Place peppers, tomatoes, garlic and almonds on the baking sheet and roast for 10- 15 minutes, or until almond are toasted. Remove almonds, rotate peppers and tomatoes and stir garlic. Return to the oven and continue roasting, another 10 minutes, or until garlic and tomatoes are soft. Remove garlic and tomatoes, and keep roasting peppers, rotating occasionally, until skins are blistered. Remove peppers and place in a bowl with tomatoes. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Gently peel skins away from peppers and tomatoes. Discard skins and pepper seeds and stem.
- Place all ingredients for the sauce in a high powered blender, such as a Vitamix, or food processor, and blend until smooth.
- While vegetables are roasting, marinate chicken. Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise into filets. Place on a plate and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder on both sides. Cover with worcestershire sauce and balsamic and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Spray with oil and sear chicken 2-3 minutes on each side. Turn heat to low, move chicken to top rack of grill and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165° F and juices run clear, about 5-10 minutes.
- To serve, top each chicken breast with 3 tbsp Romesco sauce.
- Store extra sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
*Can sub 2 cups jarred roasted red peppers. ** Can sub 3 whole canned tomatoes.